Statcounter

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Couscous & Fresh Vegetables with Samosas


Last night I wanted something fresh, nutritious, filling and festive for dinner. So I created a new recipe to satisfy all my desires. It's couscous with red and yellow peppers cooked in lots of healing spices then topped with fresh chopped tomato and avacado. I added a bit of decadence with the organic veggie samosas. So easy to make. For added elegance, I served it on the pretty new plates my sister gave me. READ MORE FOR RECIPE

Recipe

  • 1/2 cup whole grain couscous
  • 2/3 cup water
  • tsp of sesame oil
  • chopped red pepper
  • chopped orange pepper
  • finely chopped celery
  • fresh tomato
  • fresh avacado
  • Spices:
    • cumin
    • tumeric
    • cayenne pepper
    • dash of himalayan sea salt (regular sea salt is fine)
    • corriander (a big healthy dose!)
    • chili pepper and tamarind (enough to taste, depends how hot you like it)
Topping
  • fresh basil
  • fresh diced tomatoes
  • 1 whole fresh cubed avacado
Boil 2/3 cup of water and add all spice and chopped red and orange peppers and oil. Next, add the 1/2 cup of whole grain couscous. Make sure you are using the whole grain Cover and remove from heat. I cooked it on my wood-fired cook stove so I kept it on the stove but moved it away from the direct heat.  Stir it once or twice so it doesn't clump and stick then treat it the same as if you are cooking rice. After about 15 minutes remove and fluff with a fork.

Remove from pot and serve on pretty plate. Sprinkle chopped basil then top with fresh diced tomatoes and avacado cubes. Serve, warm or cool. Add a few pre-made veggie samosas and enjoy!

I add oil to the spices when cooking because most spices are oil or fat soluble.... meaning their flavor and healing properties are released when used with oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment